(7) All dimensions, dimensional tolerances and concentricities are as shown on the approved
(8) Bearing housings have sufficient metal to permit redrilling and bushing of the housing.
30.4 Items to be inspected during assembly. - Items to be inspected during assembly shall be as fol-
(a) General. -
(1) Items specified in 30.2 apply.
(2) All part-s are interchangeable and no hand fitting or selective matching of parts is neces-
(3) No shims, spacers or washers are used in the assembly to correct machining or material
(4) Assembly and disassembly of all equipment can be done without the use of special tools.
(Special tools are all tools other than those listed in the Federal Supply Catalog. )
(b) Items to be checked during winding and assembly of rotating elements. -
(1) Keys shown on the approved drawing are used to prevent rotational movement of all rotat-
ing parts, (that is, commutators, rotors or armatures).
(2) When any parts are pressed on the shaft, the pressure required to press on these parts is
within the limits shown on the approved drawing.
(3) When any parts are shrink fitted on the shaft, the interference shrink fits of the parts are
as shown on the approved drawing.
(4) Axial movement of all parts is prevented by means of press rings, snap rings, press fit,
shrink fit, or lockwashers and nuts as shown on the approved drawing.
Fans are secured to the shaft as shown on approved drawing.
(6) Bearings are of the size and type as shown on the approved drawings.
(7) The inner races of ball bearings are secured to the shaft by means of shaft shoulders,
lockwashers and nuts or by the opposed shoulder method as shown on the approved draw-
(8) Bearing locknuts and lockwashers, where used, are as shown on approved drawing.
(9) Bearings and bearing seats are free from dirt, sand, metal particles, corrosion, or other
(lo) Lamination size and stacking are as shown on the approved drawing.
(11) Slot or ground insulation are as shown on the approved drawing.
(12) Slot or ground insulation extends beyond stacking as shown on the approved drawing.
(13) Wire size and type is as shown on approved drawing. No substitutions.
(14) Wound coils including preformed have dimensions and number of turns as shown on the ap-
(15) Undue force is not required to insert slot wedge in place and insulation is not damaged or
pushed out of place of the wedge.
(16) Slot wedges are of material and size as shown on the approved drawing. Length of wedge
exceeds length of slot as shown on approved drawing.
(17) Coils are not loose after the wedge is in place.
(18) The wedge size is proper for the size and shape of the slot and there is no possibility that
the wedge will cock in the slot and slip out.
(19) Coil connections are insulated as shown on the drawing.
(20) Coil support and phase insulation is as shown on the approved drawing. Phase insulation is
inserted between the phase coils and is shaped to fit coil configuration.
(21) Coil extensions are insulated and secured as shown on the approved drawing.
(22) Insulation materials are as shown on the approved drawing.
(23) Insulation is cleaned off unless self fluxing wire is used and coil wire ends are tinned before
making soldered connections.
(24) Lead wires are of the type and size shown on the approved drawing.
(25) Windings are mechanically secured as shown on the approved drawing.
(26) Comlpleted winding assembly, including winding and pole, given a minimum of two varnish
treatments with an approved clear baking varnish when preformed coils are used and are
given one varnish treatment prior to insertion in the slots or on the poles. In the case
where preformed coils are not used, the complete assembly is given at least three