(27) Type of varnish, treating and baking time cycle, and baking temperatures are as shown on
the approved drawing.
(28) The treated windings and coils are clean, smooth and glossy with good bonding and filling.
Varnish seals shall be complete and show no signs of cracks or breaks. The completed
winding shall have no air bubbles, air pockets, voids or dry spots on the surface and
shall not be soft or sticky.
(29) There is no sign of excessive varnish buildup on one side of the winding assembly and lack
of varnish buildup on other side. The thickness of the varnish on the winding assembly
shall be uniform over the entire surface of the windings.
(30) Lead wires are insulated from ground and secured to prevent them from moving due to
centrifugal force. Length and arrangement of wires shall permit ready repair; there is
no aimless wiring resulting in "rats nests". Wiring agrees with approved drawing. Wir-
ing agrees with approved drawing.
(31) No glyptal or nonapproved type of varnish or paint was put on any of the rotating elements.
(32) Coils or windings are not nicked or damaged during handling and processing.
(33) All completed rotating elements are dynamically balanced. The type of balance weights
and method of securing are as shown on the approved drawing. They are secured in a
manner such that they will not loosen in service. Balance weights are not attached in the
air stream of the fan.
(c) Items to be checked during winding and assembly of stationary elements. - Items to be checked
shall be as follows:
(1) Items 30.4(b) (10) through (22) inclusive, (23) through (28) inclusive, (31) and (32) apply.
(2) Complete stator assembly or stator core is keyed to frame as shown on approved drawing.
(3) Force required to press complete stator assembly or stator core into the frame or frame
spider is within the limits shown on the approved drawing.
(4) Axial movement of the stator within the frame is precluded by means of snap rings, welds,
or other means as shown on the approved drawing .
(5) All lead wires are insulated from ground and secured within the frame with a suitable
clamp or fastening device.
(6) All lead wires pass through the frame, enter the terminal box and are secured in such a
manner to prevent chafing or abrasion as shown on the approved drawings.
(7) Terminal lugs are of the type and size shown on the approved drawing are provided on the
leads. Terminal lugs are properly crimped and there are no cut wire strands.
(8) Terminal boxes are of the type and size and are secured as shown on the approved draw-
(9) All leads are properly marked as shown on the approved drawing, (for example T1, T2,
(10) Coil end extensions dimensions are as shown on the approved drawing.
30.5 Items to be inspected during final assembly. - Items to be inspected shall be as follows:
(a) Items (a), (b), (c), (d), (e), (f), (g), (h), (i) and (j) of 30.2 apply.
(b) Coil ends do not protrude to a point where they may contact the end brackets or the rotating
(c) End shields properly match frames and bearing housings and end caps. AU holes align, there
is no excess clearance, and no undue force is required to assemble parts.
(d) Bearing outer races are secured in their housings as shown on approved drawing.
(e) There is no evidence of grease leakage past the close clearance nonrubbing seals into the motor
or along the shaft.
(f) Spring washers, if used, to provide preloading of the bearing, shall be selected and secured in
the housing as shown on approved drawing.
Seals of prelubricated bearings are not damaged and there is no evidence of grease leaking out
of the bearing.
Brushholder studs are secured as shown on the approved drawing.
(i) Brush rigging insulation is as shown on approved drawing.
(j) Brushholders and springs are of the type and size shown on the drawing.
(k) Brushholders are secured as shown on the approved drawing.
(l) Brushes are of the manufacturer's grade designation shown on the approved drawing.
(m) Brushes have been properly seated over a minimum of 90 percent of contact area of brush and
carbon dust has been removed from the machine.