4.2 Classification of inspections. The inspection requirements specified herein are classified as
a. First article inspection (see 4.3).
b. Quality conformance inspection (see 4.4).
c. Inspection of packaging (see 4.7).
4.3 First article inspection. First article inspection shall be performed on one complete unit
when a first article sample is required (see 3.2 and 6.2). This inspection shall include the
examination of 4.5 and tests of 4.6. Presence of one or more defects or failure of any tests shall be
cause for rejection of the first article unit.
4.4 Quality conformance inspection.
4.4.1 Sampling. Sample size shall be determined by using MIL-STD-105, tables I and IIa. A lot
shall be accepted when zero defects are found and rejected when one or more defects are found.
4.4.2 Examination. Samples selected in accordance with 4.4.1 shall be examined for the defects
in 4.5. Presence of one or more defects shall be cause for rejection of the lot.
4.4.3 Tests. Samples selected in accordance with 4.4.1 shall be tested as specified in 4.6.1 and
126.96.36.199. Failure of any test shall be cause for rejection of the lot.
4.5 Examination. Each pump unit shall be examined for the defects given below:
101. Materials not as specified (see 3.3).
102. Materials not resistant to corrosion and deterioration, or treated to be resistant to
corrosion and deterioration in the applicable operating and storage environments
103. Dissimilar metals as defined in MIL-STD-889 are not effectively insulated from each
other (see 3.3.2).
104. Contractor does not have documentation available for identification of materials,
material finishes, or treatment (see 3.3.3).
105. Used, rebuilt or remanufactured components, pieces, and parts incorporated in the
pump unit (see 3.3.4).
106. Design not as specified (see 3.4).
107. Interchangeability not as specified (see 3.5).
108. Construction not as specified (see 3.11).
109. Construction materials not as specified (3.11.1).
110. Seals and bearings not as specified (see 3.11.2).
111. Impellers not as specified (see 3.11.3).
112. Suction and discharge connections not as specified (see 3.11.4).
113. Casing vent lines not as specified (see 3.11.5).
114. Tapered pins not as specified (see 3.11.6).
115. Engine or accessories not as specified. Each incorrect accessory shall constitute one
defect (see 3.12).
116. Engine enclosure not as specified (see 3.12.1).
117. Connect/disconnect clutch not as specified (see 3.12.2).
118. Automatic engine/pump control not as specified (see 3.13).